As of 30 March 2011, web2project v2.3 has hit the street. You can download it from Sourceforge now.
While under development, we didn’t fully realize what all this release would entail. As this development cycle began, we had a perfect storm of events: a holiday break, a particularly motivated project team, a few moments of clarity, and an engaged community. These things gave us significantly more updates, fixes, and improvements for v2.3 than we expected.
For this release, a few specific people stood out within an already great community:
- CasN has done an outstanding job in the forums in reporting & debugging issues, helping other users on the forums, and some Add On module work;
- Eureka has submitted great bug reports, the occasional core patch, an updated French translation, and shared quite a bit of work on a number of Add On Modules;
- Opto has contributed detailed and useful bug reports, good patches, and insight on the forums;
- RobertBasic appeared out of nowhere to contribute patches related to better UTF/Unicode handling, translations, character encoding in general, and even a complete rework of the PDF-generation.
As a result of all of this activity, we have a variety of new features, updates, and fixes. While the full v2.3 Release Notes are too long to cover in detail in this post, but here are four things I find particularly compelling.
- We further cleaned up the Project List screen – before one of the slowest in the system – and added support for configurable columns. Any core field from a project can now be displayed, formatted properly, and even sorted on. Now that this is functional, we're planning to expand it out to the entire system in the next release or two.
- We made major improvements to the Calendar to ensure that private events and tasks are only visible to the proper people, that all events – both recurring and one-time – render in the Day, Week, or Month views appropriately, and that the tooltips have the necessary information.
- We eliminated upwards of 80% of the XHTML/CSS validation issues. As a result, the system is better behaved in all modern browsers.
- We refactored most of the controllers into a w2p_Base_Controller class to support Dependency Injection for Unit Testing and added over 50 Unit Tests to support new and existing functionality.
From here forward, we can focus on the v3.0 release for June. You can review our agenda in the Issue Tracker (select v3.0 in the dropdown), but the top two things on my agenda are finishing the web2project license change and merging in my latest development on Project Budgeting.. more on both of those later.