Once in a while we focus a release on purely on cleanup or just adding functionality. This time around we made updates and improvements to things all over the system for a variety of different user roles. This isn't all of the updates but a bunch of the important ones:
For the Project Managers:
- We've completely reworked and simplified the Gantt Chart generation. We've added a few icons to better represent the status of tasks and milestones. And to make the overall charts easier to understand, we've added a legend and shaded alternate lines.
- Gantt Charts are now exportable as single-page PDFs. You can print, email, share, or whatever with just a click.
- When a project is assigned as a subproject, we generate a Token Task to represent the subproject. This Token Task includes all summary-level information like hours worked, percent complete, etc to ensure higher-level metrics are correct.
For System Admins:
- With a properly configured filesystem, we now support direct uploading of system modules. It's even possible to upgrade existing modules with minimal effort. We're exploring a self-updating feature similar to WordPress.
- The core system supports configurable pagination size for the Project List screen and a few others.
- The most important item is that we eliminated MooTools in favor of jQuery. It's faster, easier to use, and widely supported.
- We've added hooks in the system calendar to allow any module to display any date-related information with configurable tooltips. A reference implementation is coming in the next release.
For General Users:
- We've added Czech and Russian translations. If the dice rolls work out, we'll move to Kamchatka next.
- We fixed a number of XHTML/CSS issues and better documented a few issues specific to Webkit. Their on the agenda for v2.3 in March 2011.
Finally, special thanks goes to community member Opto who consistently submits great bug reports, shares useful patches, and provides random insights that help and speed things along. Thanks!
And that wraps our releases for 2010.
This year we managed 1 Major Release, 3 Minor Releases, and 1 Patch Release. Most of the releases were a week or two later than we wanted but we managed to get all of them out on schedule. More importantly, each and every release has managed to provide new functionality and close bugs while collecting and responding to community feedback.