What is Zend Framework 3?
Zend Framework 3 is a new beginning for the framework, returning to its original mission: a strong component library, with opt-in MVC features.
For Zend Framework 2 MVC users, the differences are subtle:
- Increased performance; we’ve measured up to 4X faster applications under PHP 5, and even better performance under PHP 7!
- PHP 7 support.
- A focus on de-coupling packages, to allow re-use in a greater number of contexts. In some cases, this has meant the creation of new packages that either split concerns, or provide integration between multiple components.
- A focus on documentation. Documentation is now included within each component repository, allowing us to block contributions for lack of documentation, as well as automate deployment of documentation. See our new documentation site for the results.
Chief Architect of Zend Framework, Mr. Matthew Weier O’Phinney had this to say about today’s release.
“Zend Framework has returned to its roots as a collection of first-class components, that happens to also offer an enterprise MVC framework on top. Additionally, we are looking towards the future of PHP development via Expressive, which allows you to create PSR-7 middleware applications in minutes, using any components you want.”
- Here is the Github Tag with the changelog;
- Here is the Migration Documentation:
- Here is the Quick Start Guide