p. “Chris Jones”:http://blogs.oracle.com/opal/2007/05/14#a125 and “Allison Holloway”:http://blogs.oracle.com/alison/2007/05/15#a46 both posted recently that Oracle has released a new version of the “The Underground PHP and Oracle Manual”:http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/php/pdf/underground-php-oracle-manual.pdf.
p. Chris says that there are more than 50 pages of new content and gives the following list of highlights.
*(disc) Updated the versions of software in the install steps. Show how to use the Windows MSI installer. Added a section on upgrading OCI8 in PHP4. Added a section on enabling PDO.
* Updated the SQL Developer section (thanks to Sue Harper).
* Improved and extended the examples. Many more can now be cut-and-pasted and run standalone.
* Added new connection performance tips.
* Show how to retrieve PL/SQL “success with information” errors.
* Added a section on testing.
* Added a chapter mapping PHP 4 to PHP 5 function names.
* Added a chapter on mapping ora_* to oci_* function names
p. I think Allison pointed out the best feature of this cool manual when she said.
bq. So go get it now. Did I mention it’s free?
p. I “reviewed”:https://devzone.zend.com/article/659 this manual last year and in looking over the latest version, I haven’t changed my opinion. This is a great book for PHP developers who want to learn how to work with Oracle.