Author Archives: Zend Community

Using APC with PHP

8 Comments on Using APC with PHP

If you’ve been around PHP for a while, you’ve probably heard about APC, the Alternative PHP Cache. Adding APC to an application usually results in improved application response times, reduced server load and happier users. This article will introduce you to APC and guide you through the process of integrating it with your PHP application.

Zend Framework application’s PHPUnit suite 3x faster

My regular readers may have already noticed I don’t even dare writing code without TDD/BDD-ing it from left to right. In my Zend Framework-based project, we currently have 600+ PHPUnit test cases, most of them for models and controllers, but quite some also for view helpers, bootstrap and even some views.

The whole suite is taking around 90 seconds to run on my machine against a MySQL database (modelled with Zend_Db* in an active record/table data gateway manner).

In this post I’ll be showing how I managed to decrease the time from ~90 seconds to ~30 seconds using a PHPUnit listener and database transactions.

NOTE: This is a copy of the original article on using PHPUnit listeners to wrap each test case in a database transaction available under this link.

Ben Scholzen’s Blog: Modern Application Design – Part 2

Comments Off on Ben Scholzen’s Blog: Modern Application Design – Part 2

Ben Scholzen is continuing his serial about modern application design. As base of this serial he is using his blog source for demonstration. This time around, he discusses Form processing, Service Layers, and Data Mapping.

File uploads with Adobe Flex and Zend AMF

Comments Off on File uploads with Adobe Flex and Zend AMF

Zend AMF is an implementation done in PHP to work with the communication protocol binary AMF (Action Message Format) and is part of ZendFramework. I had to implement a system to upload files that were a little different than what is typically used in Flash, with this feature had to be integrated into the Zend AMF.

Create APIs with FRAPI

Comments Off on Create APIs with FRAPI

Imagine: You are working on a large system. It has a substantial and well established code-base, an elaborate ACL system and a lot of proprietary code. You have been asked to create a RESTful API to allow access to all the great features of your application. Unfortunately, this isn’t an imaginary situation for most people.

Deleting indexes from Zend_Registry and why you shouldn’t do it !

Zend_Registry is the implementation of the _Registry design pattern_ in the Zend Framework. It is similar to the $_GLOBALS array in pure PHP, but unlike it, it does not provide a transparent way to unset values at a specified index.

As you will see in this short article, there is a very simple way to do it, but that doesn’t mean it should be done.

Read the full article to see how values can be deleted from Zend_Registry and also why than is not recommended.

Passing the ZCE PHP 5.3 certification exam!

*Get ZCE certified NOW!*
In this article I am detailing each topic covered by the _ZCE PHP 5.3_ certification exam, explaining what areas are more important than others, what you need to know and what you need to understand. Then I will explain PHP 5.3 newest features and which of them are the most important for taking the ZCE certification exam. Read the full article to __learn about the required topics for the 200-530 exam__ …

Voting now open in 2010 Open Source Awards

Comments Off on Voting now open in 2010 Open Source Awards

The nomination stage is now closed and voting has begun in the 2010 Open Source Awards. Your vote could reward an open source project with cash awards (I know the developers will appreciate that!) Registering to vote will require your name and email, and it’s a single button click to cast your vote.

Manipulating Configuration Data with Zend_Config

2 Comments on Manipulating Configuration Data with Zend_Config

When building a Web application, you’ll often find it necessary to save and retrieve user-defined configuration values. Rather than rolling your own code, consider using Zend_Config, which offers a complete API to read and write configuration data in INI, XML and PHP array formats. In this article, I’ll give you a crash course in how Zend_Config works, and show you how you can integrate it into a PHP application.

PHP Barcelona Conference 2010 is here!

Comments Off on PHP Barcelona Conference 2010 is here!

The PHP Barcelona User Group is pleased to announce the 4th edition of the PHP Barcelona Conference. Come to the shores of the Mediterranean for two fun-packed days of cutting edge PHP, Application Scalability, High Performance, Databases, Integration, Testing, Clouds (not in the sky, we hope) and many many more topics and surprises. The event will take place from the 29th to the 30th of October and will bring together Ilia Alshanetsky, Fabien Potencier, Stefan Priebsch, Lorenzo Alberton, Enrico Zimuel and many more of the shiniest names in the industry for 48 hours of intensive PHP and fiesta! Fore more information visit http://phpconference.es and book your spot now before tickets run out and do not lose out on one of the most appealing events on the PHP calendar :) See you in Barcelona!