Author Archives: Zend Community

DataModeler: Simple ORM – Part 2 Saving Models

Comments Off on DataModeler: Simple ORM – Part 2 Saving Models

p. DataModeler is an Open Source ORM I began writing at the beginning of the year. I had experience with ActiveRecord, but was dissuaded from using it too often because it was difficult to unit test (at least I felt so). Wanting to learn Test Driven Development better, I decided to create my own small ORM framework: DataModeler. In “DataModeler Part 1”:https://devzone.zend.com/article/12511-DataModeler-Simple-ORM—Part-1-Models, I described building a basic Model. In this article, I’ll cover saving a Model to a datastore.

MySQL Sequence Generator

5 Comments on MySQL Sequence Generator

I have found that using global sequence for all table is a very good practice. You can mix data ids from all tables in a single place (e.g. search engine index) and do not worry about collisions. Unfortunately MySQL doesn’t support sequences and we have to emulate such functional. I will show you how to make it for your database and integrate this solution using Zend_Db.

Getting started with CouchDB : meet PHP on Couch

Comments Off on Getting started with CouchDB : meet PHP on Couch

The first time I met CouchDB, my eyes blinked a long time… At least, a new way of storing data, a fun way, web-oriented ! Well of course there was a drawback to this : I had to forget all my SQL reflexes and way of thinking. And you can imagine how hard it is !

I then googled to find the available PHP libraries to work with CouchDB… Believe me or not, at that time, the ones I found still were SQLish : ORMs, Datamappers, … So I started building my own, and made it available to Github. Now it’s mature enough, so I think it’s the good time to show it to the community. This article will present the basics of CouchDB and the way to use it through PHP.

Five tips for speeding up Eclipse PDT and Zend Studio

Eclipse Helios (3.6) and Zend Studio 7.1 (and above) include a new version of Eclipse PDT, labeled 2.2. This new release uses a new repository for storing code reference information. With these simple tips you can significantly improve the performance of this repository which will speed up code completion, searching for definitions, type hierarchy views and more.

DataModeler: Simple ORM – Part 1 Models

p. DataModeler is an Open Source ORM I began writing at the beginning of the year. I had experience with ActiveRecord, but was dissuaded from using it too often because it was difficult to unit test (at least I felt so). Wanting to learn Test Driven Development better, I decided to create my own small ORM framework: DataModeler. In this article, I’ll go over creating a Model and the different ways you can modify one.

Creating PDF Documents with Zend Framework

PHP comes with a number of options to help developers dynamically generate PDF files from within their applications. The Haru and PDFlib extensions offer a complete API for dynamic PDF generation, and there also exist a number of open-source PHP components that can be used for the same purpose. This article will introduce you to one such component, the Zend_Pdf component that ships as part of the Zend Framework, and illustrate how it can be used to perform sophisticated PDF operations from within a PHP application.

Quick Start Symfony DI (Dependency Injection) Tutorial

Dependency injection is a technique that allows for loosely coupled objects within a software application. Generally if an object requires access to the functionality of another it would be instantiated internally leading to tightly coupled systems. By implementing dependency injection we inject the required objects ready for use (sometimes also referred to inversion of control – IOC).

NP-Gravatar

2 Comments on NP-Gravatar

Zend Framework extension, which provides classes for using and implementing Gravatar’s services and features. It consists of HTTP client for performing Gravatar Profile Requests, client for Gravatar XML-RPC API and view helper for rendering Gravatar image URLs.

New PHP5.3+ Framework: Jolt

1 Comment on New PHP5.3+ Framework: Jolt

To further framework research and development, I've recently released a new PHP5.3+ framework: Jolt. While it is in a very alpha state, it does allow for quick application delivery. Most interesting about it is that it doesn't have the M in MVC – it lets you use your own ORM or ActiveRecord framework.